Saturday, December 8, 2007

Journey through the Tonsilectomy

The first the pics are from the day before surgery. It was an "anything goes" day. She wanted pics all over her body-I really hope this phase ends now with the markers!
One of her favorite things is to change clothes all day long. This is one of her favorite outfits. It's a 6 month t-shirt (of course it's a cropped top now) and her tights that are also way too small. That combined with her first popsicle pre-surgery is almost more than she can handle.

She even got to wear her princess clothes to bed-at this point she was sooo excited about getting her tonsils out.






Morning of surgery




Having a last look at her tonsils--she LOVED her dr.'s uniform-she'll be getting some for christmas-she asked the dr. for a stethoscope and listened to everyone heartbeat, even telling the anesthesiologist to take a deep breath.





Right before surgery-still excited! Vanderbilt Children's Hospital is so incredible! Everyone was wonderful. They let Frances ride in a little car all through the halls, play with toys, read books, and they even gave her a little mouse that they said would stay with her surgery and that she could take home. She did have a little "buyer's remorse" as the dr. called it right afterwards, but she started drinking immediately. I did not plan on going home that day-I didn't want to b/c I was nervous to take her home should something happen. She was doing so well, and she was asking to please go home--We stayed several more hours ( mainly for me), just in case she had any adverse affects from the meds or from eating. She has done so well since we got home-we are staying on top of her meds (which I have to say that the codeine has made her a little loopy and hyper!) She has been incredibly sweet wanting to give hugs and kisses all the time and using her manners better than ever, but I heard day four can come with a vengeance b/c all the anaesthetic has worn off-so we are prepared. Her little voice sounds so different, some of this is b/c her throat is swollen-It will be interesting how she sounds in the end.






BeBe and Papa got Frances Olivia the pig and the Christmas book that goes with her-She loves her-she is bouncing her trying to make her feel better a little earlier today. Thank you so much for all of your calls, cards, meals, and gifts-It was so thoughtful and much appreciated-we are so blessed! I have to say that we feel so blessed that a tonsillectomy is all that we are having to deal with. We were in the recovery room with two other children that have cancer. I cannot imagine what those families are going through. Please pray for these precious children.

















Jou

new background